Friday, May 18, 2012

a confession.

It's 10pm and I just got home from babysitting after a long day at work. I'm cuddled up with my very best friend - my dog, Claire - and I'm reading Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis. For those of you who don't know, Katie is a 23-year-old girl who was raised in the Nashville suburb of Brentwood. She left her home after high school, moved to Uganda, and started Amazima Ministries. We'll be spending some time at Amazima on our trip, so I thought it would be a good idea to learn about this ministry beforehand by reading Katie's book.

In the first chapter, Katie talks about how, on one hand, God blinded her from the sickness and disease in Jinja so that she could wholeheartedly love on these children. Now here is my confession: I'm terribly afraid of sickness in every way, shape, and form. Go ahead and laugh! I have to admit that it is quite ironic - for starters, I work at a children's hospital in Nashville and am around germs every single day. Secondly, I'm going to a third world country to love on these wonderful children who are exposed to all sorts of things because they don't have the medicine to treat them.

I haven't really thought about it before, but now that I am, it makes me laugh at the irony of it all! God has a sense of humor, putting me in situations that have me confronting my fears head on! But I realized: though I am still fearful at times of contracting some awful unknown disease (even here in the United States!), God has enabled me to do my job at the hospital without me giving my fear a second thought. And you know what? I'm confident that He will do the same while I'm in Jinja.

He's God. And He's got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment